STREAM with STEVE: Virtual Vibration Lab
Time & Location
About the Event
REGISTER for Wed. April 1: Registrants will receive an exclusive access code and instructions so kids can easily log in and participate from a computer, smart device, or TV.
DESCRIPTION: Students will participate in various Sound Science experiments and demonstrations. Some almost seem like MAGIC! Our kids will even SEE invisible sounds working in a colorful dance display! They will also use their newly learned knowledge and skills in the Engineering Design Process to create and share their own unique instruments in this teacher-facilitated, interactive, real-time virtual classroom.
STEAM Topics Covered: Vibration, Molecular Science, Wave Functions, Music Art, Human Biology, Material Properties, Instrument Technology, Absorption, Simple Machines, Forces, Measurement, Geometry, Hands-on Tools.
RESEARCH: For this class, a little pre-requisite research, imagination, and gathering are required! It’s always a great idea for engineers to research ideas on how to build what they want. So for this project, we encourage you to go online and find out how other kids around the world have explored and made sound, music, or instruments with common items you might find around your home.
Big Question… WHAT is VIBRATION? Can you bring things that vibrate to STEAM Camp? Tools: Pencil/pen, tape, scissors, ruler Good Extras: hot glue gun, hole puncher
Materials: Please note some items are repetitive for ideas, and not necessary. You will still experience super fun edutainment with minimal materials!
- Think recyclables: cardboard, bottles, odds and ends, unused toys
- Comparative membranes: Balloons, plastic food wrap, tinfoil, fabric rag or t-shirt
- Containers: Empty plastic or metal cans, cups, boxes (for coffee, soup, cereal, etc.), paper towel rolls
- Tiny n’ Light items: salt, sand, rice, sprinkles, iron filings, etc.
- Arts/crafts supplies
- Straws, rubber bands, wire hanger, mixing bowl, 2 or more same-size drinking glasses
- One or more different types of string, fishing line, rope, long springs (Do you have a Slinky?)